THE GLYNN FAMILY
The Glynn/Glenn/McGlynn family originating in Culkeen, Co. Roscommon 1825 - 2015
Biography - Michael Glynn & Mary Mullen.
|Michael Glynn was born in 1825,
according to his death certificate, although the date on
his headstone (1818) does not agree with this. According
to family tradition his father was Patrick Glynn, his
mother McDermott. We have not been able to confirm this.
Following the discovery of a Landlord's map in the
National Archives and a map of the holdings in
Griffith's Valuation we now know that he lived in the
townland of Culkeen, parish of Kiltullagh, County
Roscommon. This house was across the road about 100
yards from the house he later built about 1860 and which
later passed on to the McHugh family. The original house
is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1837. At that
time there was a village of about eight houses in that
In Griffith's Valuation we find that Michael farmed 7 acres, 3 roods and 7 perches and shared another field of 12 acres with a neighbour, Thomas McGouran. The land was poor in quality, the Great Famine was ravaging Ireland and on such a very small holding, it must have been a struggle to raise a family in such circumstances.
On 26th Jan 1845 Michael married Mary Mullen from Benmore. Benmore is about three miles southwest of Culkeen. Mary was born in 1828 according to the headstone. They had eight children that we know of but the baptisms of James (A4) or Joseph (A7) are not recorded in the Parish records. The eldest, Patrick was born on Nov 1st, 1845. The others are: Thomas (1848), Michael (1851), James (c.1845), John (1856), Hugh (1858), Joseph (c.1860) and Michael (1860). The first Michael died as an infant. Family tradition is that they had twelve sons in all and that John was the seventh son. The only evidence for this is that John himself claimed to be a seventh son and had a cure for illnesses in animals which he used many times during his lifetime. This seventh son cure is well known in Ireland and is not disputed, although I don't know of the existence of any scientific proofs. The missing four boys may well have been stillborn
By 1871 Michael was in poor health (see 1871 letter). According to his death certificate he died on March 8th, 1882 in Culkeen of "debility". His son John is recorded as present. Sometime after 1882 Mary was on her own in Culkeen as John, James and Hugh were establishing businesses in Dunmore and Williamstown. John brought her to Williamstown and she died there on September 22nd 1889.
Michael, Mary and Hugh are buried in Addergoole, near Dunmore, County Galway.