THE GLYNN FAMILY

The Glynn/Glenn/McGlynn family originating in Culkeen, Co. Roscommon 1825 -   2017   

The Glynn farm in the 19th century, page 2

Homepage

More than twenty years ago, Aodan was the first to visit Culkeen in search of the house that the Glynn family lived in. Sean McHugh, the last owner of the property confirmed that his old cowshed was the house he was looking for.  We also found two maps that were drawn up as part of Griffith's Valuation between 1854 and c.1860. Neither of these maps showed a house on the property. The 1854 map showed the land in separate fields, the second showed the land as one rectangular piece.  Further searching  led us to the National Archives where we found a Landlord's Map dated 1853. The Ordnance Survey map of 1837 was also examined, leading to the following conclusion

In 1837, Michael Glynn was 12 years of age. The family house is shown here as part of a village of eight houses on the road to Cloonkeen, across the road from his last house and no more than 100 yards away. The ivy covered remains are still there today.  According to family tradition, his father was Patrick and his mother's surname was McDermott.

 

This is part of the Landlord's Map. The Glynn house and garden is on number 43

 

By 1853, Michael was listed as a tenant of Colonel Fulke Southwell Greville and the landlord's map shows that most of the Glynn land (coloured green) was across the road and to the north of the old house.

 

By 1860 the new landlord had rearranged the holdings of his tenants and Michael was given the rectangular farm that Sean McHugh later inherited. The arrow shows the location of his new house.